Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pump It Up

Today I went back to work. I thought I'd miss Wyatt but it turns out a little space in our relationship is not a bad thing. While I was on maternity leave, my employer, Creative Mediation, moved offices so over the weekend Garett helped me get my new workspace ready for my return. This is a photo of Garett standing in front of the curtains he meticulously hung to hide me from the busy street beyond. When friends and coworkers ask me about feeling ready to get back to work I nearly always mention my anxiety about pumping breast milk for Wyatt on the job. Of course my new office has windows with no window coverings on two of the four walls. I not only had to figure out a plan for cheap window coverings but also am determined to get over the mental block I have about pumping milk like a cow while trying to maintain some modicum of professionalism. I feel weird enough pumping at home so envisioning someone using the intercom feature to ask me a mediation related question with the hum of the Medela double pump in the background seems like a bit more than I can handle.

I'm pleased to report that all went well on this first day back to work. Our dear friend Nana Nancy spent the morning with Wyatt and Garett was home by one for an afternoon of parenting. I put aside my anxiety about the pumping, closed the door to my office and felt smugly pleased to get to take two 10-minute breaks during the day. We'll see how long I can hang.

No comments: