Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Happiest Place on Earth


No, it's not Disneyland. It's the drive-in movie theatre in San Luis Obispo.


Last night we took a family trip to the drive-in. Well, it was almost a family trip. We left Ruby home because we weren't quite sure we could bring her and didn't know if we'd have room in the back of the truck for her and Wyatt.

The drive-in is up there on my list of favorite experiences of all time. I haven't always been such a huge drive-in fan. I went maybe three or four times during my childhood and, while we usually had a good time, it wasn't particularly memorable. I did have one awkward drive-in experience in high school that involved a first date with a kind of geeky boy named Mark and an almost-hand-holding over the gear shift in the center console. Let's just say he was hoping for a sweet moment and I was searching for a reason to need both hands to roll down the window. In case you're wondering, there was no second date.

I think part of my new found love of the drive-in is the way that Garett really knows how to do it up. He never complains while we load up the truck with way too many pillows, blankets and sleeping bags and never forgets to bring the batteries to run the pump for the blow-up mattress which significantly increases the overall comfort factor of laying in the back of his truck. He also doesn't call me crazy when I dress in my pajamas, bring three pairs of socks and wear both a beanie and a hoodie pulled tight over my head. When we get there, he goes to work transforming the bed of his truck from flat metal discomfort to a heaping mound of cozy and billowing pleasure. In a matter of minutes, I get to crawl in under at least two sleeping bags, lean my head back on the perfectly placed down pillows and peer up to the screen ready to watch the movie. It really doesn't get better than this.

Last night, we experimented a bit with our tried and true drive-in formula. First, we added Wyatt to the mix. I'm thankful to report that he seemed to like it. I fed him right when we got there (while Garett was doing the aforementioned set up) and then bundled him up (don't worry, Mom, he did not get a chill) with several blankets and a hat. He curled up right between the two of us and slept through the entire showing of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. On the drive home I swear he was humming the melody, dun du dun dun, dun du dun.

Second, we stopped at our favorite Mexican restaurant, Chapala, on our way and picked up burritos and horchata. The horchata was especially a treat and I think we may hit up Chapala again the next time we go to the drive-in.

Sometimes I feel a little silly loving the drive-in the way I do. I tell Garett that it's as close to camping as I like to get (and I'm only half joking). I think it's just my ideal combination of being with the one(s) I love, laying under the stars and enjoying a good movie.

1 comment:

Red CANARY said...

Love your writing. That night ruled!! Can't wait to do it again.