Sunday, February 20, 2011

On the Bluff





We spent a few nights in Big Sur at the Kirk Creek campground last weekend with friends Kim and Jason from Alameda and it was a lovely time. The weather cooperated perfectly being t-shirt and shorts weather by about 9am. Our camp site was nestled out on a bluff so we could sit at our picnic table and check out the glassy ocean.

My favorite thing was when we drove a few miles south but north of Sand Dollar beach and parked just off Highway 1. There are these little stairways between barbed wire fences that called out to us to explore beyond. We walked over one of them and hiked around looking for a private beach cove with a corresponding way to get down to it. All we could find were steep cliffs and it was looking bleak when the boys found a narrow, rocky, somewhat steep path down to a completely private cove with a sandy beach. We made it down just fine and the boys fished in the surf for perch. They caught the biggest perch I've ever seen and Wyatt got to reel a few in. Kim and I got to hang out and chase around Wyatt in a attempt to not let him get swept away by the tide. The sky lit up as we made our way back to the car. I'm writing this much detail because sadly I didn't bring a camera with me on this adventure. The experience is memorialized in my mind and spirit and I can't wait to find another spot like this the next time we head north.


When we get back from a camping trip, I find myself immediately getting online to make another reservation. I'm thankful that Garett is teaching me the art of the camp and look forward to our next trip.


No comments: