Thursday, September 2, 2010

Best Sandwich Ever

My folks gave us a good panini maker for Christmas last year and sandwiches have not been the same. While I was pregnant I developed an intense dislike for cold meat and the panini maker is a nice solution when all that sounds good is a sandwich. Here's the combo:

- Start with a nice crusty bread. I've been enjoying fresh Pugliese, which is a rustic bread from the south of Italy.

- A very thin slice of prosciutto. I prefer the Beretta prosciutto from Trader Joe's for its nice cost/quality ratio.

- Fresh Purple Mission figs sliced down the middle and flattened a bit. I load the sandwich with these because they are amazing with a little heat.

- A little crumbled Roquefort cheese on both sides of the fig.

That's it. The next time I make this I may add a little course ground mustard but it didn't really need it. The combination of flavors is exquisite and my mouth is watering a bit as I type. I wish I had a nice photo to go along with this post but it really didn't cross my mind to photograph until it was long gone.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Kristin M. said...

YUM!!!!

Rebekah said...

That sounds amazing! I think I'm going to have to ask for a panini maker for Christmas.

Jen said...

I am on my way to making one today for lunch. La Brea bread, figs, rocquefort, proscuitto and and maybe some drizzled 18 year old balsamic. Want to come over and help me eat it? Have fun in DC!!!