Sunday, March 21, 2010

Rules are meant to be broken

Wyatt's birthday party was a good time. He's quite a social boy and anticipated his party for days talking about each and every guest he hoped would attend. He seemed to enjoy himself and I definitely enjoyed having so many of our friends in the same spot. We ignored the whole "invite the number of people for the year the kid is turning" rule and had about 30 guests.

We made chocolate orange cupcakes that were generally a hit other than the one eight year old guest who informed me that chocolate and orange do not go together.
Wyatt ate with his usual gusto and was disappointed when the cupcake was gone.

This little cutie is Huck. Wyatt especially likes his name because it rhymes with tow truck.

Check out Lauren in the lower right corner wearing her pretty pink party dress and a hard hat using the excavator. This is my definition of a good party.
Here's the food table about two hours in. We made Barefoot Contessa's Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers with Satay Dip and Sunset's Caramelized Pear and Sage Crostini. I also served Trader Joe's Coconut Curry Chicken Sticks to eat with the Satay Dip. A cheese tray with Gouda, Brie and Stilton with Dates and Oranges rounded out the menu.
I have a little book that we are hoping to have people write in each year when Wyatt has a birthday. We had our family write in it last year at his party. I mostly started it because keeping track of things is not my strong suit (nor is sentimentality, for that matter) but it's also going to be a great way to see how Wyatt's community evolves over the years.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

LOVE that shot of Lauren. So sad I couldn't be there! Thanks for taking good care of my family, and happy birthday, Wyatt! :)

Jen said...

I lovethat you posted all these details!! Thank you for that, wish we could have been there. :(

Holly Peterson said...

What a fab party! The food and company were both wonderful. Thanks for posting pictures.