Monday, March 1, 2010

Happy 8.5 Garett

We spent the weekend celebrating Garett's 34th/8.5th birthday. We visited the zoo, checked out an amazing house on 20 acres, walked on the Port San Luis pier, ate brunch on the patio at Novo and slept in our front yard in a tent. I should rephrase that. Garett and I spent the night in the tent. Wyatt only lasted about an hour and ended up inside in his crib. And Garett and I only made it until 4:30 when we both agreed it was a little too cold to last a few more hours.
One of my best memories of my childhood is sleeping in the backyard. I don't remember pitching a tent very often but mostly dragging out my sleeping bag and sleeping under the stars on the grass. Sometimes I would have a neighbor friend spend the night with me and other times my dad would join me. A frequent occurrence was waking up to the sprinklers soaking my exposed head. My dad always promised that they were off but I think he liked hearing our squeals in the morning and we always had a good laugh. The thought of waking up to sprinklers now sends shivers down my spine and exhaustion through my body. But, as a young girl, I loved all of it. And not getting a good night's sleep was the least of my concerns.


1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Happy birthday, Garett! We thought of you on your non-birthday. Amy, you are brave for sleeping in the front yard! I don't see that in my future any time soon... :)