Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bookworm Phase

Wyatt loves books and I love that he loves books. This love gets us through cranky late afternoons, trips to the supermarket and my exhaustion at the end of the day. These days it seems to be the only time he's content being still.He's started liking to read alone in his crib in the morning before he gets his day started. When I come in to get him, he reaches for his books and waves me away, letting me know he's not quite ready to get out of bed yet. I can relate. So I scoop up a few books, put them in his crib and turn on the light. He flips through them methodically and pretends to read them. Sometimes I stay in there and watch him but sometimes I tinker around in the kitchen listening to him babbling from the next room. This morning he read for a good 30 minutes. I think tomorrow I'm going to bring in a book of my own and enjoy a little morning reading.

You never know how long a new phase like this will last but it sure beats the screaming-until-I-pick-him-up phase.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh Amy, how delightful! I think we'd like to borrow this phase...

Jen said...

YEA! So glad he's into books too! Sam did/does this too, my only advice would be to avoid books with flaps. Sam tore all the flaps and part of the pages off a beloved "where's Elmo's blanket book," much to both our dismay. Drove me crazy, trying to pick up all the scraps of paper. I still can't bring myself to throw away the destroyed ones. :)

Anonymous said...

Wyatt is so, so cute in those pictures. It kills me to live so far away.

Was that a Hungry Caterpillar book I saw in one of the pictures? Great book. And great PJ's on Wyatt too.

-kristin