Sunday, October 23, 2011

Best.Birthday.In.A.Decade


First my title was Best.Birthday.Ever but there was my 20th birthday during college when my parents and grandparents got together and sent me a huge gift package filled with things like a digital camera, clothes, shoes and work-out gear. They sent 20 individually wrapped gifts and I felt very known and loved.
But this birthday was amazing from start to finish. I woke up to Wyatt at my bedside at 7:55 (his latest in quite some time) talking about a present in his trash can. I didn't think that a gift was in my future since Garett has been working so much. I didn't think a card was in my future. Garett found time to pick something up at the gallery with the special jewelry and wrote a sweet card. Then I took a walk up our hill with a good friend and our boys and dogs ran and ran and ran. It was a clear, warm morning with hardly a hint of wind. My heart was full. A pizza party at Wyatt's school came next and this could have been a downer (What, you don't think spending a birthday in a room full of three year olds sounds like fun?) but it wasn't. I got to know a few of the parents and Wyatt did not completely freak out when we left. I met a few friends from church for a bible study in the afternoon and one brought tasty cupcakes. Yum. Wyatt and I rushed home to find our aunt and uncle who stopped by for a spontaneous visit and my Uncle Sandy concocted one of his famous margaritas for me. We had a small bite to eat together and then Garett and I went out by ourselves to Novo for appetizers, drinks and dessert. We talked as we sat at my favorite table under the oak tree and sipped our delicious drinks. The money that came in a few envelopes in the mail earlier that day helped us feel a little less stressed about the bill than usual. I got several kind calls from dear friends and family near and far and it was good to hear the voices of so many that I love. I would have been a happy girl with just one of these special events but the sum total made it over-the-top.
We spent the weekend camping at Kirk Creek with clear skies and temperatures in the 80's. Wyatt didn't want to come home and I may have opted to stay a few more days if there were showers at the campground. We spent a lot of time at the beach and slept from about 8 until 7 each night. Now that I mention it, I'm not entirely sure why I don't feel more rested. I feel full after good time with my boys.
We explored several potential kayak fishing spots for Garett because we're headed back to Big Sur in a few weeks.
Mug of hot cocoa as big as his head? Check.
Our watch dog who did not alert us to the raccoons in our camp.
This is the most focus I've seen in Wyatt in a long time.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

I love every word of this post! I hope those days start coming a little more than every ten years. Happy birthday sweet friend. I don't know what I would do without you...

Jen said...

I too loved this, made my heart happy on many levels for you. You sure had this coming, glad it was a good couple of days. Ditto on not wanting to do life without you.