Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Always a Smile?

While in the ER yesterday afternoon, I saw the same doctor that we'd met a few weeks prior when we brought Wyatt in for Croup. I reminded him that we'd met and he said that he remembered me as the mom who was constantly smiling.

I had awhile to sit by myself in a quiet place (it's sad that the ER is my quiet place) and I thought a lot about what he said. Why in the world would I have been smiling while I was bringing in my son in the middle of the night for a scary bout of swelling of his vocal chords and windpipe that made it difficult for him to breathe?

I'm deeply committed to being a person who faces adversity with a smile. The problem is, this smile doesn't always come from a real place in my heart. Sometimes it forms out of habit or due to my fear of actually feeling sad or disappointed about something. I confuse a smile with truly expressing joy and gratitude, the kind that comes from experiencing sadness, followed up by the sweet relief of the presence of God.

My new commitment is to learn to allow my face to actually reflect my heart. Yes, it may not always be pretty, but it will be true and that, I believe, is what God is asking of me today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy! I'm sorry to hear about the accident. SO glad that it was relatively minor. How is your neck feeling 2 days later?
B and I usually look on autotrader.com for cars. If you use the advanced search you can look for cars that are for sale by owner only. Edmunds.com is good too. You can learn the exact value of a car so you know if you are getting a good deal. Of course, there is craigslist too. Maybe it's time to get that minivan. ;)
-kristin

Carolyn said...

Oh Amy, I can't believe you were in a car accident and still took the time to bring me a birthday present!! Wow, I had no idea. I'm thankful you have such a sweet boy to care for you. :) And thanks for thinking of me in the middle of a crazy week!